English Language Development
At Birch, equity serves as the foundation for all we do. All students bring a wealth of linguistic and cultural experiences that contribute to and support their learning. All educators are teachers of language and impact the experience and success of emerging bilingual students. We believe all students, educators, and families benefit from being part of a diverse learning community and that partnerships and trust between educators and families are critical to student success.
ELD Program Overview
The English Language Development (ELD) program provides a dedicated time for English language learners to receive language instruction driven by students’ English proficiency level.
As the ELD teacher, I strive to:
- Guide students toward English Language Proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Instruct students in language skills (i.e. grammar and vocabulary) they are likely not to learn outside of school or pick up on their own
- Help students acquire language skills they will not be explicitly taught in other subject areas
- Give students the language they will need for effective academic learning and classroom participation
- Provide a high quality program that meets the needs of all English Language Learners and meets state and district requirements